Q Is St Mary’s DSG a Catholic school?
No, it is an Anglican school
Q What does DSG mean?
Diocesan School for Girls
Q When do applications close?
We accept applications all year
Q Is St Mary’s DSG zoned?
No, we are an independent school and therefore zoning does not apply to our applications process
Q Is St Mary’s DSA a four- term school?
No, we are a three-term school
Q How old is the school?
We were founded in 1879
Q Are there still nuns at the school?
No, the nuns returned to England in 1975
Q What matric examinations are written?
We write the IEB (Independent Examinations Board) examinations
Q Who are our brother schools?
WHPS and St Alban's College
Q What does Filiae Regis mean?
Daughters of the King
Q What are the uniform shop hours?
The uniform shop is open in the morning 07:00 – 08:00 and in the afternoon 13:00 – 15:00
Q What time do the girls in the Junior School finish school?
Grade 0 12:30
Mon - Thurs Grade 1-3 13:30
Mon – Thurs Grade 4-7 14:00
Friday's Grade 1-7 13:15
Q What time do the girls in the Senior School finish school?

Information Technology

Q Can you bring your own laptop?
No, you are required to purchase a school laptop.
Q When does the laptop programme start?
The Laptop Programme starts in Term 1 for all grades in the Senior School.
Q Is the cost of the laptop covered in the tuition fees, or will the cost be a separate item?
The cost of the laptop is a separate item.
Q Is the cost of all software included in the laptop price?
Yes, all major prescribed software is included in the package.
Q What are the printing costs?
All paper and printing for reasonable use are provided by the school. No extra costs for printing.
Q Who can be contacted regarding laptop queries?

Growth Centre

Q What therapies are offered and what is the cost of these?
The Psychologists are paid by the school and there is no cost involved for assessments or therapy. The Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist and Remedial Therapist work privately and will discuss the cost of assessments and therapy with the involved parents.
Q What is included in a subject choice assessment?
A Subject choice assessment will include an aptitude test, a personality test, an interest questionnaire, scholastic achievement, as well as qualitative information obtained from the learner. It is a very comprehensive assessment and compares with the best offered outside of school.
Q Should I take my child for a second assessment?
It is not recommended that a child is taken for a second assessment within a year of the initial assessment as many of the test measures used are similar or the same, which may lead to invalid results.
Q What information is shared regarding therapy?
No information will be shared with the staff or parents without permission, unless the specific learner or other individual(s) are in danger, has been exposed to abuse or when the learner is involved in illegal activities.
Q How does consent work regarding therapy/ who needs to give consent?
Parents' consent is required for a child younger than 12 to receive therapy.
Q Is there a difference between private practice therapy and therapy offered at a school?
Although the therapists at the school are equally capable and well-trained in comparison with private therapists, they do not work over holidays and consistency of therapy is impacted by the school timetable and calendar, as well as emergency cases. Therapy may therefore take place less regularly. Sessions missed on a given day may not be caught up.
Q What is the availability of psychologists?
Psychologists have set working hours and availability specific to their appointment and cannot accommodate consultations outside of these hours, or without an appointment. Availability should be discussed with the individual psychologist and appointments should be arranged accordingly.
Q How can an appointment be made with a psychologist?
Psychologists can be contacted via e-mail or can be phoned at school.
Q What is the difference between a counsellor, a play therapist and a psychologist?
A registered Psychologist registration requires a Masters degree and registration with the HPCSA. A Psychologist has a broader scope and receives more in-depth training in comparison with Registered Counsellors.

A Registered Counsellor requires an Honours degree as well as registration with the HPCSA.
Lay counsellors and life coaches are not registered with any boards and their practice and training is not regulated.
Play Therapists are not regulated by the HPCSA and can practise without formal training, supervision and registration with the HPCSA.
Q Which scenarios require limits on confidentiality?
Scenarios in which a breach of confidentiality is required:
  • Emergency situations (risk to self or others)
  • Statutory duty (required by law, eg reporting abuse)
  • Court orders
  • Illegal activities